Vacation Rental Cleaning Checklist: Tips for a Spotless Home
Explore our vacation rental cleaning checklist for expert tips on maintaining a spotless home. Elevate guest satisfaction with our comprehensive cleaning guide.
Cleaning a rental house is one of the most critical tasks of property managers. Guests are wired to expect spotless accommodation with high hygiene standards. Not meeting these in a competitive vacation rental industry can cost you bookings and reputation.
To give you a hand, we've compiled this guide with everything you need to know about vacation rental deep clean, along with your DIY options. Happy guests leave happy reviews, so make sure your short-term rentals are pristine!
Why is Vacation Rental Cleaning Important?
If you've been in the vacation rental business for a while, you know that first impressions matter. Maintaining a clean property is uncompromising for guests and can make or break the reputation of your vacation home. Here's why establishing a thorough cleaning routine matters:
- Health and safety. It goes without saying, but a clean home free of dirt, germs, and pests can provide a safe environment that promotes the well-being of your guests.
- First impressions count. From the moment guests step foot on your property, they start forming an opinion about your vacation rental. Keeping a clean house will make them feel welcomed and at ease.
- Positive reviews. Special attention to cleanliness will be noted by visitors, who'll be happy to point it out in their reviews. On the other hand, if your house's cleanliness is questionable, they won't hesitate to post their disappointment, ultimately ruining your reputation.
- Repeat bookings and referrals. A well-maintained home will be cherished by guests who are likely to visit again or recommend it to others. By prioritizing cleanliness, you boost guests' loyalty and portray professional service.
What Are the Options for Cleaning Vacation Rentals?
1. Handle Cleaning Yourself
One option is cleaning properties yourself to cut expenses. However, remember that vacation rental cleaning differs from your typical house cleaning. To make your property look as spotless as in photos after every guest's arrival, you must invest in cleaning supplies and sanitize thoroughly.
Moreover, since multiple groups of people will be passing from your house, you'll need to monitor furniture and functionality. A damage control once or twice weekly will require lots of time and energy. Adding to the list the occasional welcome basket for each guest makes it a considerable project.
2. Hire a Professional Cleaning Service
To take a load off your plate, you can hire vacation rental cleaning services. Leave cleaning to professionals who'll care for every aspect and make your future guests happy. In exchange for a small fee, they'll handle everything from cleaning to sanitizing and save you all the equipment and hazards.
Especially if you manage multiple properties, a professional cleaning team is a must. Consider that you may be required to complete two or three cleanings weekly during high season. Other times, you might work with tight deadlines, as one guest leaves in the morning and the next guest arrives at noon. That can quickly become your lifestyle, cutting into your personal time.
3. Hire an Independent Professional Cleaner
As a final option, you can hire a third party, an independent contractor who will handle vacation rental cleaning for you. If you know someone or have been recommended to a professional, make sure to reach out and brief them on your property and cleaning tasks. Creating a relationship of trust with your service providers is critical to a successful vacation rental business.
How Much Do Cleaning Services Cost?
A cleaning fee varies depending on the cleaning service and the number of vacation rentals. For instance, you can choose deep cleaning, maintenance cleaning, or basic cleaning. For exact cleaning fees, contact your local cleaning companies.
Keep in mind you can add cleaning fees to the total cost paid by guests when renting your vacation rentals on platforms like Airbnb. So don't skip the professional service, which will make a huge difference and reflect in guests' positive reviews.
What Cleaning Supplies Should I Buy for My Vacation Rental?
Ideally, you want to keep a stock of your vacation rental home supplies. This can save you precious time when you're on tight turnarounds and don't have the luxury to go to the store.
We get it. Having a double or triple of home supplies upfront can be a significant cost. But an extra pair of sheets can help you meet deadlines when there's no time to run them through the washer. Here are the most important supplies to have in hand:
- Bed linen
- Toilet paper
- Paper towels
- Disinfectant Spray
- Mop and Bucket
- Multi-Purpose Cleaner
- Vacuum Cleaner
- Kitchen products
Vacation Rental Cleaning Checklist
Here's a step-by-step cleaning checklist to keep track of your vacation rental cleaning process. You can share this with your vacation rental cleaner or use it as a roadmap if you DIY:
Possibly one of the trickiest rooms that requires attention to detail:
- Throw away trash bags
- Clean and disinfect the bathroom
- Refill shampoo bottles
- Wash towels and bath mats
- Replenish toilet paper
- Vacuum and mop the floor
- Clean mirrors from water stains and fingerprints
Vacation rental owners who DIY their cleaning should do lots of scrutiny in the kitchen:
- Remove trash
- Wash and disinfect surfaces
- Clean electrical equipment (coffee machine, stoves)
- Check if there's any leftover food in the fridge
- Clean cabinets, drawer handles
- Wash any dirty dishes
- Vacuum and mop the floor
This is the room where guests spend most of their time, so vacation rental cleaners need to:
- Wash dirty linens and replace sheets and pillowcases with fresh ones
- Vacuum and mop the floor
- Check for personal belongings left under the bed
4. Living Room
- Vacuum and mop hardwood floors
- Dust and clean surfaces (coffee tables, TV tables)
- Clean any carpet stains
- Adjust cushions
- Mow the loan
- Empty ashtrays
- Make sure nothing's lying around
- Check outdoor furniture
- Clean the swimming pool
Maintain High Standards With an Effective Cleaning Routine
Hopefully, this checklist will be your stepping stone to a spotless vacation rental cleaning ritual. Hiring a cleaning staff will be your best investment in your short-term rental business to automate success.
You can always save on cleaning and booking fees using Houfy - the ultimate book-direct marketplace for vacation homes. Say goodbye to large profit cuts and indirect bookings, and welcome immediate communication with guests and more control over your business.
With a large community and more than 60,000 rentals, it's time to take your rental business to the next level. List your property today for free!
What members say about us
Read about our customers' experiences and their success stories.