Chedraui - On the east side of the highway at Juarez
You can also shop at Sams Club which is just south of Chedraui on the highway. But, unless you're feeding a big crowd, the quantities are too large. The three big stores are open from 7:00a.m. - 11:00p.m
Walmart has the best all around selection, in my opinion. A lot of folks walk to Walmart. Just walk down 5th Avenue to Calle 10; take a left and walk 3 blocks. You'll see it come into view. Going back to the condo is best done in a taxi because you may have a lot to carry.
We have a relationship set up with LoQSea for grocery delivery. Clients of Caribbean Beachfront Condo can place orders for delivery prior to their arrival in Playa del Carmen. This is perfect for those that have late arrivals. Contact us to make arrangements.
We've received good reviews from our clients about this service. You can have them delivered in advance if there are no other guests staying in the condo. Same day turn overs make it difficult. Contact me in advance if you'd like to do advance...
Does the thought of arriving for your vacation and having to stock your rental with food take a little joy out of your vacation? Do you hate waiting in line at the grocery store? Does the thought of shopping in a different country or using your Spanglish present a challenge for you?
2. Meats and fish are often displayed unwrapped, on ice. I don't buy those items. I've started seeing more stores wrapping their meat and keeping it in a open cooler; just like they do in the USA. There are small meat markets around town called Carniceria's. They usually have arrachera cooking on a grill outside to draw you in. It is used in Fajitas.
When I visited my family in Mexico in 2011, I was treated to one tasty restaurant after another. All I wanted and longed for was a good grilled carne asada. I ate more carne asada on that trip than I had eaten in 10 years, LOL!
3. All of the grocery stores have baggers. They are usually older men trying to pick up tips. I always leave my change for the baggers.
BE AS GENEROUS AS YOU CAN...IN MEXICO, GROCERY BAGGERS ARE PAID NO SALARY. Despite being assigned shifts and having to wear a uniform, the people who bag your groceries at Mexican supermarkets are not paid any wage - they earn only tips.
In Spanish, the usually elderly baggers are called 'cerillitos' - from the world 'cerillo' - or matchstick - because they were traditionally dressed in a white uniform with a red cap.
4. The supermarkets here offer a high US dollar exchange rate, so if you're managing your pesos, use your dollars for groceries! It's the best rate in town.
5. Mexico is not known for it's beef. There is only one place in town, that I know of, that sells USDA grade beef --Sams Club. So if you have a hankering, head to Sams.
6. Buying Alcohol- The sale of alcohol products is prohibited after certain hours but store hours vary. Typically between 9a.m. and 5p.m, you can buy alcohol anywhere, except for on Sundays; by law they cannot sell alcohol after 5:30 PM.
7. Bring along reusable bags - The State has banned all single use plastics
8. Most milk in Mexico is sold on the grocery shelf in sealed containers. It's not sold in the refrigerated section. Yes, it's real cows milk. Click on the link below for more info.
Bring some reusable bags along with you. Quintana Roo is banning single-use plastics. This includes "plastics such as utensils, straws, plates, glasses, cups, trays and cutlery, among others, as well as derivatives of extended polystyrene (unicel products), will be banned.
There are only a few days a month that you will find the lines at the ATMs and Grocery stores to be long. If you're like me, you try to avoid these! Try Grocery delivery with Riviera Maya grocery instead. Caribbean beachfront 3 bed, 3 bath condo...
Condo in Playa del Carmen. CHECK OUR WEBSITE FOR MORE CUSTOMER REVIEWS AND INFO AT http://caribbeanbeachfrontcondo.com/ This oversized corner unit has extraordinary views of the Caribbean ocean. We are loca...