We keep a running list of the simple and the simply fabulous places to stop by when visiting Lower Township, NJ, USA. Some of them are just ways to make your vacation in our home easier to manage (groceries and morning coffee), while others will help you plan the prettiest sunset viewing or a date night). We hope you will enjoy your stay with us - Dreams Come True Cottage on Houfy or DreamsComeTrueCottage.com
- Tacos By The Shore - Delicious and authentic - our newest discovery in Rio Grande, Lower Township, New Jersey. It has made our list of favorite places near our place! www.DreamsComeTrueCottage.com; listing #3204 on Houfy.com. Authentic and delicious Mexican in a casual quick-bite restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating. Great reviews online. Soooo good! 3167 Route 47 South, Rio Grande, NJ 08242; 609-600-2148
- Rio Avalon Coffee-3167 Rte 9 S, Rio Grande, NJ 08242 - https://www.avaloncoffeecompany.com/ is right next door to Tacos By The Shore and a terrific stop for breakfast or lunch. Bagels, sandwiches, grill and a full service barrista counter (although we haven't tried the coffee beverages).
- Dunkin' Donuts - 3704 Bayshore Rd, North Cape May, NJ 08204 (609) 551-2140 - Nearly new, this Dunkin' Donuts is less than 2 miles from Dreams Come True.
- Aldi's -3201 Rte 9 S Unit A, Rio Grande, NJ 08242 - https://www.aldi.us/en/weekly-specials/our-weekly-ads/ If you want quick and easy to make meals priced more reasonably than the rest of New Jersey, try Aldi's. It is a chain grocery store with mostly off brands and some name brands set up like a mini-warehouse rather than fancier (read $$$) grocery market. But they have ever growing organic, gluten-free and healthy selections as well as quick frozen and packaged foods. Bring a quarter for the cart and your own bags, because they don't supply them unless you buy them. It's a different shopping culture from this Germany-based company that you just might enjoy!
- Willow Creek Winery - http://willowcreekwinerycapemay.com/ 160-168 Stevens St, West Cape May, NJ 08204 - While there are a number of wineries in Cape May County, this one is our favorite. The property is astoundingly beautiful. The facilities are large, interesting and exceedingly comfortable. Plus, there is a busy calendar of fun activities, including Fire Pit Friday, Winter Saturday Night Jazz and Pasta Sundays. They provide excellent and educated tastings by passionate wine lovers. Stop by and plan to stay a while. Indoor and outdoor seating.
- Nauti Spirits Distillery - https://nautispirits.com/ - 916 Shunpike Rd, Cape May, NJ 08204 - One of the newest attractions in Cape May, we found this well thought-out distillery to offer some of the finest bartending skills we have ever seen! You don't have to be the worlds biggest vodka, rum or gin fan to enjoy the atmosphere, skill and intentional care displayed at this place! Set on a preserved farm, this is a great bring-your-own-food place, since rules require that they can offer a menu only from other preserved farms. Therefore, you can pack a picnic or order out from several of their suggested area restaurants while focusing on the distillery products. Indoor and outdoor seating.
- Harpoons on the Bay - http://www.harpoonsonthebay.com/ - 91 Beach Dr, North Cape May, NJ 08204 - If you want to make some fast friends and enjoy a waterside view of the bay, stop by Harpoons on the Bay a couple of hours before sunset. Be patient, there is almost always a wait to get seating in the summer months. The menu isn't fancy and the drinks come in disposable cups, but the real reason visitors come to Harpoons is for the gorgeous sunset! Now you have arrived!
- Cape May County Park and Zoo - https://www.cmczoo.com/ - 707 Route 9 North - Cape May Court House, NJ 08210 - Not only is this a nice zoo, it is just the right size, a great visit for all ages, and it is completely FREE. Did you get that? Completely free. Picnic facilities, playgrounds, shops and a zoo. You won't be disappointed.
- Cox Hall Creek Wildlife Management Area (WMA) - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cox-Hall-Creek-Wildlife-Management-Area/178152022302723 - Within walking distance from our door, if you want to put some miles on, take a walk (or run) through this WMA. Set on a former golf course, the buildings are long gone, and the land has been replaced with a variety of natural growth. Markers provide interesting information about the wildlife you may see. Maps are provided to help you navigate the many former golf cart trails. To get there from DCT, go right out the front door, then make a left onto Bybrook Drive. Walk 7 short blocks to the entrance of the Ponderlodge Parking Lot on the right (it is slightly hidden by a turn and natural growth, tucked away between two homes). Leashed pets welcome.
- Washington Street Mall - http://www.heartofcapemay.com/ - There are a number of great shops in this several block stretch in the heart of Cape May City. Some of our favorites: - Swede Things in America - http://www.swedethings.com/ 307 Washington Street Mall, Cape May, NJ 08204 - This adorable little Scandinavian gift shop will be interesting to Swedes and non-Swedes alike. - Bath Time - https://bathtimecapemay.com/ - 401 Washington St, Cape May, NJ 08204 - Let your senses soak it all in when you enter this store, with the large variety of ever-present rubber duckies in the window. My favorite part of the store is the blend-your-own perfume, but this well scented store offers clothing, jewelry, skin care, soaps and much more. Stop by for a sniff. - Our Lady Star of the Sea Roman Catholic Church - http://www.ladystarofthesea.org/olss/ - 525 Washington, Cape May, NJ 08204 - A beautiful church with MANY Masses to choose from, there is no excuse to miss church while on vacation! This beautiful church is located in the heart of the Washington Street Mall, with parking provided. Stop by for a quiet moment, or take your chance with their ever-present car raffle and you may end this year with a new car!
- Clover's Cottage - Okay, this is sort of cheating, but we really do love Clover's Cottage. The problem is, it is a place you need to see on your NEXT vacation! Our country cottage in rural Pennsylvania is one of our favorite places. We hope you will visit. www.CloversCottage.com
Follow us on Houfy.com to see all the greatest travel tips and tricks in our neck of the woods! https://www.houfy.com/tinaschmidt/home. Safe Travels!